Andaman Travel Guide – Your catch for paradise
Andaman & Nicobar Islands are the grand group of more than 300 small islands in the gigantic Bay of Bengal in India. The Islands are situated just adjacent to India in the beautiful Indian maritime waters. The history of the place is exquisite, so as its beauty.
The Andaman & Nicobar Islands have much to offer to their visitors, the islands are stationed over a wide geographical range.
The volcanic islands
The Volcanic islands are the most intriguing, the land is hilly and is embedded with rocks. The area is surmounted by thick forests from all sides. The Andaman & Nicobar Islands is an established union territory, the capital of the region is the Port Blair.
The city is the gigantic attraction for the tourists & enthusiasts, Port Blair has its own share of rich history in India’s struggle for Independence and more. Talking about the climate of the Andaman & Nicobar Islands, the place is warm and extremely humid. It pours in Andaman & Nicobar Islands throughout the year, monsoon season is a fascinating one.
The region is an avid producer of high-quality Coffee beans, the coffee production of the Andaman & Nicobar Islands is world famous. Apart from coffee beans, the Andaman & Nicobar Islands are also famous for tobacco. Tobacco is cultivated here over a larger vicinity, coconut, rubber and more are also of greater importance.
The Andaman and the outside world
Andaman & Nicobar Islands are the perfect location to fulfil your thirst for wanderlust. The city of Port Blair is well connected with the rest of the Indian peninsula via deemed air routes. A well-fledged sea route has also been established. According to various sources, the Government of India is soon going to connect various parts of Andaman & Nicobar Islands amidst themselves.
The plan is to deploy over 240 kilometres of rail lines in the vicinity of the islands. If you’re a travel enthusiast and you love to explore places then Andaman & Nicobar Islands are the perfect pick for you. The Indian railways are running several trains for passengers who want to visit the Islands.
Exotic train journey to Andaman and Nicobar Islands
If you want to visit the Andaman & Nicobar Islands from the North India then it is pretty easy for you. You can reach Andaman and Nicobar Islands from Delhi by train easily.
There are various trains running over the route, there is a majority of trains that go to Chennai only.From Chennai, you are required to board another train or you can also consider going via air or boat.
Some Important Trains To Chennai From New Delhi
- Till Chennai you can board G T Express which departs from New Delhi on all the days of the week, the departure time of the train is 18:40 from the New Delhi Railway station.
- The other major train is Tamil Nadu Express, which also runs on all the days of the week. The Andaman Express is yet another train that runs on the same route, the train is sourced from Katra, it passes from Delhi and arrives in Chennai Central railway station.
Trains can be the cheapest way to travel to Andaman and Nicobar. With services such as e-catering and onboard pantry available travelling to Andaman & Nicobar Islands via train is a viable option.
Mumbai Central and Chennai, the backbone of the rail link
If you’re travelling from the central India then you can also consider boarding the train from the Mumbai Central.
Some Important Trains to Chennai from Mumbai
If you’re wondering about how to reach Andaman from Mumbai by train then we have a great advice for you.
- The train connectivity has been ensured by the Indian railways till Chennai, the 1031-kilometer-long journey is pretty engaging. You can board the Chennai Mail train which departs from Mumbai Central railway station and arrives at Chennai on all the days of the week. The train covers the distance with minimum time possible.
- Another train can be the CSTM Chennai Express. Both the trains run on the same route from Mumbai to Chennai on all the days of the week. The train numbers for both the trains stand at 1102 & 11041 respectively.
Note-If you are thinking about how to reach Port Blair by train then sadly there are no direct trains connecting Port Blair to India.
Are flights the saviour?
The cheapest and best way can be taking a Go Air flight from New Delhi international airport to Port Blair airport. You can also go to Chennai via train then you might take a flight to Port Blair or you can also consider travelling via ship. A deemed presence of flights is there between Port Blair and Delhi if you’re considering taking a flight than we can list Delhi to Andaman and Nicobar flight prices. There are around 32 flights travelling from Delhi to Port Blair and back every day respectively. You can always get reasonable airfares if you book well in advance.
Some Flights to Consider to reach Port Blair
- The IndiGo airlines flight range starts from Rs. 6915 for one way, the flight is a direct flight between Delhi and Port Blair.
- The Spice Jet is also offering splendid rates over the travel, a one-way ticket to Port Blair from Delhi costs around Rs. 6400.
- Go Air is the cheapest amidst the all, with the ticket prices starting from Rs. 5800 only. Most of the times, flight tickets get costly as the date of travel approaches you, it is advised that you book your flight as early as you can.
Andamans an enthralling place to explore your soul
The great Andaman and Nicobar Islands are nestled in the southern most region of the India, the location is fit for a great exotic vacation at any point of time in a year. The travelling to Andaman itself is an adventure, taking a ship to Andaman will take your travelling experience to a whole new level.
Sea route provides a deep exotic view of the flora and fauna, the gigantic oceans are pleasing. The view is splendid, one might get lost in the beauty of it, considering to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands via ship is a decent option.
Explore the coral way of travel
There are majorly three ports in India from where you can board a ship to Andaman & Nicobar Islands. Chennai, Kolkata and Vizag offer an unprecedented sea service to the Andaman & Nicobar Islands to the travellers. Don’t worry about how to reach Andaman from Chennai, the Chennai city has various ships that run between the city and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
How to reach Andaman From Chennai By Ship
- M V Nicobar, M V Akbar, M V Swaraj and more are the commercial passenger ships that run amidst Chennai and Andaman Islands.
- It takes around 60 hours on a ship if you’re travelling from Chennai to the Andaman, around 66 hours if you’re travelling from Kolkata.
- If we talk about the distance then the Port Blair and Chennai are 1190 kilometres apart. The journey can be appealing for travellers, various coastal scenic spots will be there, live exotic environment would be present too.
Reach Andaman and Nicobar Island by Ship
If somebody asks you about how to reach Andaman and Nicobar Islands by ship then you can simply recommend them to board a ship from Chennai city. It is cheap, effective and vibrant. The fare can be pretty low if you’re travelling on a ship.
- It ranges from Rs. 2000 INR to Rs. 8000 INR on average, there is also the option to stay onboard. Several sorts of amenities are provided on the ships like Deluxe rooms.
- The Deluxe rooms are stuffed with a television and fridge for personal use for the travellers, the travellers are provided with a separate cabin. The other option can be choosing the First Class, you can accommodate four individuals in the first class of the ship.
- The other classes available over a ship are Second Class, Bunk class and more. Hopefully, doubts and information regarding how to reach Andaman by ship have been cleared and sorted correspondingly.
The Port Blair is very well connected with the sea route, most of the coastal tourist prefer ships over any other means of transport. The Indian railways have started working on a linkage project that will join the major islands amidst the Andaman & Nicobar Islands. The linkage work will be done on a full-fledged scale.
The collection of gems: the volcanic islands
The great union of 300 islands i.e. Andaman & Nicobar is referred as India’s topmost exotic vacation spot. Take a break from your corporate life culture and hit the shores of the enormous oceans. Let the jolly sun gleam your body, let your body tan while you explore the exotic beaches of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Andaman can be surely regarded as the place which never fails to thrill its visitors. The place relaxes you to your core and also reignite the real you. The natural beauty of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands makes it the destination worth a visit.
Come and visit the natural beauty of Andaman, move away from chaos, drift away and escape the void. Just like the pearls in the Bay of Bengal, Andaman and Nicobar Islands are glittering in the great vivid Indian ocean.
One will surely have a life changing experience here. Port Blair is the entrance to the great Andaman Islands, the tourism here is not just limited to the exotic beaches, the place has much to offer. The city is the capital of Andaman and Nicobar Union territory is well connected with major Indian cities through esteemed air routes.
Ever increasing tourist attraction
Every day a larger number of people travel to Andaman and Nicobar Islands by the means of flights from the major cities of the India. You can always book a cheap flight to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands from any part of the India. The gateway to the tropical Andaman can be best experienced by taking a flight. The somewhat 1400-kilometer journey can surely make you fall in love with the grand and exotic view from your flight’s window seat.
Since getting into the Andaman and Nicobar Islands are not easy as they are remotely located, flights can be a splendid way to land in those thick forests. Interestingly, the Non-Residential Indians are required to have a valid permit to visit the Port Blair area. What comes as a great news is that you can always get a permit on arrival over the airport itself.
Direct flights to Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Chennai and Kolkata offers a staggering amount of flights to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. If you are looking about how to reach Andaman from Chennai by a flight then it is assured that after a bit searching you can surely find great deals. Major cities like Chandigarh, Delhi, Mumbai and more operates regular flights from and to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands respectively.
The Air India flight from Chandigarh costs around Rs. 16000 INR including various amenities to the Andaman Islands. On the other hand, average flight price from the Mumbai to Andaman and Nicobar Islands is Rs. 5200 only. Mumbai has a large number of operational flights to the Andaman Islands with various discount packages and more.
A great blend of heritage and cultural importance
Photograph by Avijit Mukerji
Talking about the attractions of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands then the must visit spot is the Cellular Jail. The place has its own chunk of history, other major places to visit on your trip to Andaman are Government saw mill, marine museum, limestone caves, Baratang islands and more. The thick forests and deep oceans offer an array of adventurous activities like Mountaineering, Sea diving, surfing, para gliding and a lot more.
Visiting the Andaman and Nicobar is a once in a lifetime experience for many, the marine life, the coral reefs and the astounding flora and fauna of the place is unmatched. The region is a divine heaven for the photographers, the island offers a breath-taking view to the visitors. It is never too late to visit the great Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The sandy beaches, long coconut trees, sound of splashing water and the kisses of the Sun can make anyone fall in love with the great Andaman.
You can see and feel the breath-taking touch of the coral fishes amidst your legs, large parrots around the trees, cute octopuses, zebras in the open fields, underwater corals and more. The visit to Andaman is the bliss of the mother nature, encapsulate the best of it. So before you plan your trip, do not forget to research a bit to find out the best way to reach the place without spending too much time and money.